Petition for Early Entrance to Kindergarten
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 9, 2023
Media Inquiries: Please contact Johnna Brown
270-887-7000 / Johnna.Brown@christian.kyschools.us
The CCPS Age Exception Petition Process and Deadlines for Kindergarten Students
HOPKINSVILLE, KY (February 9, 2023). Kentucky Senate Bill 24 states that a child must be five years of age on or before August 1st for a child to attend the 2023-2024 kindergarten class. In response to the community's request for exception, the Christian County School Board enacted an Entrance Age Policy 09.121 petition process. This allows a student-family to request consideration to enroll in the 2023-2024 kindergarten class if the student turns five years of age shortly after August 1, 2023. The deadline for this exception petition is March 31, 2023.
Below is the process regarding the Petition for Early Enrollment Form 09.121 AP.21.
● Student-families must request a Petition for Early Enrollment Form 09.121 AP.21 from the guidance counselor of the student’s zoned-school. Go to https://tinyurl.com/CCPS-Zones to determine which school zone the student resides.
● The parent/guardian will provide the student’s birth date and reason for the request of exception on the Petition for Early Enrollment Form 09.121 AP.21. Once completed, the parent/guardian will submit the petition to the zoned-school guidance counselor.
● The completed Petition for Early Enrollment Form 09.121 AP.21 will be reviewed by the CCPS Elementary Instructional Supervisor.
● The parent/guardian will be contacted by the CCPS Elementary Supervisor office to complete the Brigance Assessment. The assessment determines a student's readiness for entry into school. There is a $25 processing fee payable at the time of assessment.
● The completed Petition for Early Enrollment Form 09.121 AP .21 and Brigance Assessment is submitted and reviewed by the district’s Early Entrance Committee.
● Once reviewed, the parent/guardian will receive the district’s approval or denial in writing via mail.
● The district reserves the discretion to deny early enrollment based on social-emotional readiness of the child. Considerations may also include availability of space and funding.
Please submit questions regarding this process to CCPS Director of Pupil Personnel Melanie Barrett at 270-887-7005, EXT. 77532 or email@example.com .